Getting Around in Byron
Byron Bay might be the only town where you might see all in the same day people getting around on a 1950’s cruiser bicycle with a surf board strapped to the side, a fancy sports car, a double decker bus covered in flowers, 5 campervans in a row and 200 naked people on push bikes. Don’t worry about the naked people that’s just 1 day out of the year for The World Naked Bike Ride. We have created an easy to follow guide to transporting yourself around town and beyond however you want to do it.
First, getting to Byron:
Byron is a 2-hour drive from Brisbane and 1-hour from Gold Coast. Drive yourself or shuttle buses are a great way to get from the Brisbane, Gold Coast and Ballina airports. Most can even drop you here at your accommodation at Byron Palms.
- BYRON BAY AIRBUS & AIRPORTER servicing Brisbane, Gold Coast and Ballina airports. 0400247287
- LIFT BYRON BAY servicing Gold Coast and Ballina airports. 0423 512 875
- BYRON EASY BUS servicing Brisbane, Gold Coast and Ballina airports. 02 6685 8881
- STEVES TRANSPORT servicing Ballina to Byron. 0414 660 031
- BRISBANE TO BYRON servicing Brisbane city and Brisbane airport. 1800 626 222
Getting around town:
We are luck to be off the main drag, yet only a 5-minute walk into the town centre and 10 minutes to the beach.
Parking is $3p/h in the CDB. Other than walking, here are some other great options for getting around town:
- Byron Taxi: Go Byron (02) 6685 5008 our only taxi company. Servicing 24/7
- Uber: Uber has just started to take of in Byron. There aren’t many drivers but try your luck.
- Hiring a bike from Surf and Bike hire from $10 a day. Even Tandem bikes! At
- Hiring a bike from Soul surf school by dropping in at 1/31 Lawson St.
- Hirer a Solar Powered Bike Sunshine cycle and save energy from you and the planet.
Hiring a Car:
There are so many advantages in having a car in Byron because of all the things to do and see in the wider area:
- Simmons Byron Bay is located at the service station at the round about coming into the CBD.
- Hertz Byron bay is located in town at 5 Marvell St.
- Pick one up from the Gold Coast, Ballina, or Brisbane airport and book on Rentalcars.com
Blanches Bus service:
https://blanchs.com.au/ has all the timetables and more details if you would like to plan a bus trip to one of our neighbouring towns. Just make sure you get the times right because they don’t run often.
Route 640 Ballina - Lennox Head - Suffolk Park - Byron Bay – Mullumbimby
Route 637 Byron Bay – Sunrise Beach – Arts & Industry Estate & Return
Route 637 Byron Bay – Suffolk Park – Byron Hills – Baywood Chase & Return
Route 641 Byron Bay - Bangalow - Ballina
Feeling a little more Luxurious:
Byron Bay Luxe Limousines and Transfer’s is the elegant choice for any transport needs in the Byron Area. Their private cars are spacious, individually climate controlled and very comfortable. Their fully accredited drivers are experienced, friendly and professional, making your travel experience extra special.